An Elixir Injection is a powerful drug consisting of immense yellow blood cells to increase a parasite’s aptitude results.
The drug was designed as a last resort for children, who were still undergoing their parasite development in the Garden, and who failed to meet expectations. If their capacity and aptitude results failed to thrive or showed incompetence, they were at risk of being removed from the Garden and, as it was never revealed what happened once those children disappeared, it was speculated those children were killed. It was revealed in Episode 22 that Dr. FRANXX has stored these children in a cryogenic room, as he opposed APE’s method of disposing weak children.
While the drug would drastically increase one’s aptitude results, it had a success rate of 15% (1% in the manga). Because of this, many children were reluctant to receive the injection out of fear of succumbing to its effects. Mitsuru received the injection when he was 9-years-old when he was told he couldn’t stay in the Garden due to his low aptitude results. According to Ichigo, he was the only one to have received it and came back alive.
However, the drug also causes the health of the receiver to significantly weaken, making the individual grow increasingly sick and weak.
- Elixir has several meanings.
- (1): a substance held capable of changing base metals into gold
- (2): a substance held capable of prolonging life indefinitely
- (3): a medicinal concoction
- (4): a sweetened liquid usually containing alcohol that is used in medication either for its medicinal ingredients or as a flavoring